Friday, April 29, 2011

Elbow Surgery

I just got approval from Workman's Comp to have surgery on my Left Elbow for the Tendinitis I have. I should have had the surgery months ago, but my Workman's comp Case Worker was an idiot. So after 3 Doctors  and waiting since January, I am finally waiting for the Doctors office to call to schedule my surgery.

I am hoping the surgery is soon as I have a week vacation the first week of July and we are supposed to go stay at a friends cabin and go swimming and fishing, and I want to take Megan to a couple of water parks. So I need my arm to be working by then.

So what they are going to do is make a 2 inch incision on the outside of my left elbow and go in and repair the tendon. The surgery last 45 minutes. They say it has a 96% success rate. Only 5% of the people that get Lateral Epicondilitis aka tennis elbow, ever go on to have surgery. When I had my MRI back in December it said that I have severe tennis elbow. 
So since Therapy, meds, and light duty didn't work, this better.

So after surgery my elbow will be in a sling for 10 days. That means I can not do anything with my elbow at all.
This means I can not straighten my hair because I can not hold the blow dryer or my round brush with my left arm.
So I will be going curly for a while.

Then I go to physical therapy after 4 weeks. I am not sure what I will be allowed to do between the 10days in the sling and the 4 weeks before I can do therapy. I guess I will just have to find out. However I figure if I can get into surgery in the next 2 weeks I should be pretty well along by the time I go on vacation.

So I should have a phone call Monday to schedule my surgery. 


No comments:

Post a Comment